Here were my favorites that I visited this year:
1. Front Street Books: Alpine, TX
- A pleasant bookstore with a well curated and bountiful selection of regional books, as well as new and used books on all topics. Very helpful manager. I can't wait to go back!
2. Parnassus Books: Nashville, TN
- I have heard much about this bookstore in interviews with owner (and famous author) Ann Patchett on NPR. Though in a strip mall of all places, this was a classy, modern establishment with friendly and well informed staff with hand picked recommendations at the ready.
3. Book Fellers: Fort Davis, TX
- Such a charming, unpretentious, small used bookstore in small-town Fort Davis. Very friendly owners, old time jazz music playing, used and collectible Texas books, and lots of general used books for only $2/book! I found a copy of Jane Jacob's The Economy of Cities, and also, The Enneagram Made Easy. Delightful, unexpected find!
4. Mrs. Dalloway's: Berkeley, CA
- One of my favorites - so many hand written reviews (my mark of a good bookstore), very cute, also conveniently located right next door to The Elmwood Cafe which makes the best hot chocolate in town!
5. Walden Pond Books: Oakland, CA
- This is the closest one to me, so close I can even walk there from my apartment, and I consider this my "local bookstore." It has both new and used, and the floors make a good creaky sound as you walk on them. I've been impressed by how busy this bookstore has been lately (though I prefer it less crowded). Makes me happy to know there are still lots of book lovers out there. They are always happy to special order titles for me.