Saturday, January 10, 2015

A Tightly Woven Tale

I have no recollection of how Larry Watson's Let Him Go ended up on my "to read" list (possibly an IndieBound next list suggestion?!) but I'm glad it did.  It's the kind of book you'll want to read quickly, as it immediately draws you in to the action the characters, and their intent.  It's spare and atmospheric writing, reminding me in ways of Kent Haruf and Peter Heller's The Painter.  And I feel that I've read this kind of plot before, but I just can't remember in what book (family members attempting to rescue kids and bring them out of harm's way, etc.). 

The story centers around Margaret and George Blackledge, who set out on a journey to find and protect their grandson, who, after their own son's death, is being raised by their daughter-in-law and her boyfriend, Ronnie Weboy.  The Blackledges know something is amiss with the Weboy family and despite their age, have a determination and pluckiness that propel them to possibly put themselves in harm's way to make sure their grandson grows up in a safe environment.  Set amidst the backdrop of small town North Dakota and Montana, this is a book you'll want to read in just a few sittings, and then put more of Larry Watson's books on hold at the library.  At least, that's what I'm going to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment