Sunday, January 4, 2015

Army Wives' Lives

No Man's War:  Irreverent Confessions of an Infantry Wife is the debut book by Angela Ricketts, who has been part of the army culture for her whole life, first as an army brat as she calls herself, and then by way of marrying her husband, whom she met when he was an infantry lieutenant.  I learned of this book because of Terry Gross' interview with Ricketts on Fresh Air.  It struck me that the topic was something I know nothing about, as I don't know anyone in my life who is connected to the military in any way.  I was intrigued enough by the interview to read the book of which the main themes seemed to be the relationships (i.e. camaraderie, competitiveness, and hierarchy) among army wives, being without ones' partner for long stretches and the toll it can take on one's marriage and well being (Ricketts describes having a heart attack), raising children with your partner gone for long stretches, etc.  Ricketts describes the "buoyancy" of army wives as a key characteristic and common thread among highly divergent personalities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment