Friday, September 19, 2014

On the Road with McMurtry

I'm a huge fan of Larry McMurtry's non-fiction, even more so than his fiction.  I'm thinking of his memoir Books, and his essays on Texas, In a Narrow Grave.  Here are some of my favorite quotes from his book, Roads:

"It may be that the Midwest produces a distinct kind of disappointment, which, in some, becomes murderous resentment.  I think this disappointment has to do with glamour - or rather, with the lack of it."

"What would America, much less ldaho, be without waitresses named Kitty?"

Roads reminded me somewhat of Steinbeck's Travels with Charley: In Search of America, except that admittedly, without a Charley (or other side kick), it wasn't quite as entertaining.  However, I wrote down some of the routes that McMurtry recommends (highway 2, highway 83), and I can't wait to drive them someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment