Wednesday, May 2, 2012

How Mr. Fox Made My Head Spin




I saw a great handwritten review of Mr. Fox, by Helen Oyeyemi, at a local bookstore and a few days later I dove into Oyeyemi's complex, captivating, charming ,and chilling book.  Oyeyemi, a young British author and the daughter of Nigerian immigrants, is the author of four novels.  Mr. Fox is a writer who consistently kills off his female protagonists, and Mary Foxe, his muse who walks the line between real and imaginary, tries to get Mr. Fox to think of other ways to end his stories without the recurring violence against women.  But the plot thickens and twists, as Mary writes her own stories, as does Mr. Fox's wife, Daphne.  Oyeyemi wrote some very beautiful and inventive stories within stories, which I appreciated and enjoyed as individual vignettes. I'm still not sure how it all works cohesively as a novel, but it is probably because I haven't wrapped my head around it yet.  It's deceptively simple and yet complicated at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment