Saturday, December 31, 2016

2016 reading roundup!

I've done it! I met my goal of reading 100 books this year.  It's hard to do a "top 10" so instead, I've listed my favorites by category. 

Favorite autobiographies/memoirs/essays
:
Find a Way - Diana Nyad
Walk through Walls - Marina Abramovic
The Hidden Wound - Wendell Berry
The Journey Home - Edward Abbey
Frantumaglia - Elena Ferrante
Where the Bluebird Sings to the Lemonade Springs - Wallace Stegner

Favorite re-reads:
The Fire Next Time - James Baldwin
The Autobiography of Malcolm X


Favorite debut novels:
Behold the Dreamers - Imbolo Mbue
Border of Paradise - Esme Weijun Wang

Best Short Stories:
The Splendid Outcast - Beryl Markham
The Magic Barrel - Bernard Malamud

Favorite books by established authors new to me this year:
Medicine Walk - Richard Wagamese
The Temporary Gentleman - Sebastian Barry
The Sea - John Banville

Creepiest:
Eileen - Ottessa Moshfegh

Best survival story:
After the Wind - Lou Kasischke
Best Southern ambience:
The Risen - Ron Rash

Best non-fiction:
Are Prisons Obsolete? - Angela Davis
The Fire This Time - ed. by Jesmyn Ward
The Hour of Land - Terry Tempest Williams

Best engrossing reads (dare I say "beach reads?"):
House of Thieves - Charles Belfoure
The After Party - Anton DiScalfani
Sweet Caress - William Boyd

Best letters:
The Collected Letters of Wallace Stegner (real letters)
To the Bright Edge of the World - Eowyn Ivey (fictional letters)

Best books from the 1930s:
My Sister Eileen - Ruth McKenney
Remembering Laughter - Wallace Stegner

No comments:

Post a Comment