Sunday, August 7, 2016

2016 mid-year reading roundup (a bit late)

It's time for my mid-year reading roundup. I read many thought provoking, memorable, and riveting books in the first half of 2016. Here are my top 10 favorites (out of about 50 total), in order of when I read them from January up until June 30th:
1. Eileen - Ottessa Moshfegh
2. Black Man in a White Coat - Damon Tweedy
3. Forgotten Country - Catherine Chung
4. The Splendid Outcast - Beryl Markham
5. Find a Way - Diana Nyad
6. House of Thieves - Charles Belfoure
7. The Hidden Wound - Wendell Berry
8. Mankiller: A Chief and Her People - W. Mankiller & M. Wallis
9. Becoming Nicole - Amy Ellis Nutt
10. The After Party - Anton DiSclafani


Wallace Stegner continues to blow me away with his range and beautiful writing (but I didn't want to crowd my top 10 list with all Stegner!). My favorites so far from this year have been his first novel, Remembering Laughter, and one of his collections of essays on the West, entitled Where the Bluebird Sings to the Lemonade Springs (in particular the essay "Letter, Much Too Late").

The first book I read in the second half of the year is also spectacular - The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

No comments:

Post a Comment