Wednesday, May 15, 2013

tiny beautiful things, indeed

 
My introduction to Cheryl Strayed was by way of reading her memoir, Wild:  From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, which I really enjoyed (see earlier review on my blog!).  I recently picked up her book tiny beautiful things: Advice on love and life from Dear Sugar, and I did not want to put it down.  I really mean it - I walked down a busy sidewalk reading this book!
 
The book is a modern day "Dear Alice," in which Sugar fields all kinds of questions about love, life, money, intimate relationships, important life decisions, etc., and she does so with wit, compassion, and an authenticity that cuts right through to the heart of the matter.  The Dear Sugar column started on a website called the Rumpus, and it was only recently that Cheryl Strayed outed herself as Sugar. 
 
Strayed is not a trained therapist, but she has lived a lot of life, and her responses are well crafted, raw, and direct.  This is both immensely entertaining and illuminating! Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment